Using animated models

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Hey there,

I was wondering what are the best approaches to creating and using animated models in GoblinXNA. What to use and how to go on about it.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM

you can go through tutorial 14 and find out how. It is the basic tutorial on how to achieve that

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hey,
Thanks for the reply, think I have managed to integrate it with marker tracking, and the sample animated fbx file is working. Something else comes up though. I have tried making a custom animated model in blender with a single armature bone and the problem is once I export it to Goblin and try to start the project I get the following exception:

if (skinningData == null)
 throw new GoblinException("This model does not contain a SkinningData tag."); 

Now this is an already textured custom model and is exported with xna strict options, I also made sure that the content processor is set to the right SkinnedModelProcessor value, so then what could be the issue? 

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

HI blaze_trail!

Do you can post a video of you model structure and the animation in Blender screen?

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Hey there,

Thanks for replying, well like I might have mentioned I wanted tryout with a very simple model, too simple maybe, it only consists of a single textured cube
rigged with one bone and a simple swaying animation.

I have  uploaded a zipped folder (~256KB)  if it helps, with the following content:

-A rendered video of the animation
-.blend file
-.fbx file 
-Texture image

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d9gy56 

Hope it helps.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Hi blaze_trail!

Yes it helps...

In a very simple way: your model is animated, but not your bones and skin(cube), thats why the skinnedprocessor shows this error.

Inside of Blender space you have applied rotations that are lost when you export the fbx model.

To work with a simple model you don't need bones inside them, just apply the texture and export to Goblin.

Then you can do simple animations like rotations by code(see Tutorial2).

If you really need a skinnedModel with more complex animations(legs, arms.....), here are two very interesting links:

This is a very... very good starting point:

http://www.stromcode.com/category/xna/

And these fantastic tutorials (especially #6!!) are to Softimage ModTool but you can use the same principles with Blender(pay attention in the mesh weight painting and animations part):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dawate/archive/2008/02/05/building-a-3d-game-in-xna-from-scratch-free-video-tutorial-series-now-available.aspx

I really hope it can helps you!(and sorry the english)

Eduardo.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hey Eduardo,

Those links are cool, thanks for the great help. I sure have picked a few things form there.
As much as I'd like  to say I got the cube animation running though, it's still not. umm not sure what you mean by 
saying I have  animated the model and not the bones and skin EDD, I thought I did animate the bones while they are in 
pose  mode, isn't that the right way? umm maybe if I could see an example of a functional blend file of the animated cube model I might be  able to figure it out? Well anyways thanks a great deal for all. I should keep studying those links maybe I am missing something. 

Thanks again ^^

btw. your English is very well clearly understood .

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

hey guys,

could anyone afford aid with a sample animated .fbx model that could be loaded into goblinxna.

thanks